Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ben Folds is NOT background music!

So yeah, ever hear of a guy named Ben Folds?

You know, he plays music and stuff and he happened to be in Pittsburgh this past Thursday at Club Zoo...

Oh, you were at the bar you say? Well, I hope that Mr. Folds' piano strains provided a nice backdrop for your LAME bar room conversation...


Hi, I'm Ben Folds, perhaps you've heard of me?

SHEESH. The concert was as fun as it could be for where it was, but the venue was a real downer. The bar at Club Zoo is situated right alongside a good part of the standing room area. It was really annoying when people talked over the quiet parts of the songs. And the speakers set up didn't throw the sound to the back where we were standing very well.

Take this song for instance... Really fun piano jam in the song Lullabye, but when it gets quiet you can barely make out anything because of the constant chatter:



It was also hard to see with the crowd of people in front of us. I had to hold my camera up at arm's length on full zoom, so my videos are a bit shaky. Believe me, this video footage is better than the view we had....especially for the more vertically challenged among us.

Venue aside, I really enjoyed getting to see Ben in his more casual element (having first seen him in February with the symphony). He played many of the favorites, including my current fav, Gone. They of course did the audience sing-along for Army:



Guest keyboard appearance for Zak and Sara:



And they Rocked This Bitch with a Tambourine!
(note the beer tilt salute at the end)



My friends got to meet Mr. Folds afterward, but I was grabbing my stuff from someone's car, so I sadly missed my chance. However, it was a good night in spite of the space issues.

I leave you with this final statement:

Why the

did they not do this show at Mr. Smalls??

No comments: