Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chef Tricia strikes back!

I'm not known for being too handy in the kitchen...not that I'm bad at cooking but I just don't do it enough to be completely comfortable with it. So from now on, I'm committing to cooking dinner every Sunday night (unless I'm on vacation or something). I will post the results here so you know I'm actually meeting my commitment. :P

It helps that my house gets a share of a CSA (community supported agriculture) so every Thursday we get a box of fruits and veggies from a local farm shipped to our door. I saw that we had a kohlrabi in the fridge so I looked up a recipe in my handy dandy "Simply in Season" cook book and made this:



It required a lot of prep work with the veggie cutting but it was fairly simple to make. It was really tasty and made me feel like I had my face in a garden while eating it.

Oh, and the real achievement of the night was that I managed to clean the kitchen at the same time:


Two points for chef Tricia!

So, here's the recipe in case you might want to try it out for yourself... I kind of doubled the recipe, but still found it made more like 4 huge servings with the rice... so I'd say their serving size is on the smallish side. PS - get the Simply in Season cookbook if you get a CSA or have a garden or are adventurous at the Farmer's Market...it's the awesome!

Kohlrabi with Peas and Potato
(serves "4")
............................................................
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
In a large pot, sauté in 1 TB oil about 3-4 minutes.

1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground tumeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander
Add and stir-fry for about 30 sec.

1 cup kohlrabi bulbs (peeled and chopped)
1 cup potatoes (peeled and chopped)
Add and stir briefly

1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Add; bring to a boil then simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 min.

kohlrabi leaves (finely chopped)
Add and simmer 8-10 min.

1/2 cup peas
Stir in and cook until peas are done. Serve over rice.

No comments: